Simply cooking

As I am finishing my Christmas cookie production in my tiny kitchen,  I realize that some of you might wonder if cooking is possible, living tiny.
The answer is YES!

Often, when Joe amd I talk with people the assumption is made quiet regularly, that we only eat as if we were camping: Hot dogs and burgers, freshly prepared over the fire pit. They couldn't be farther from reality.

I should start with this fact: Because our 5th wheel toy hauler is only equipped with a small fridge and freezer, we go grocery shopping about twice a week. No such thing as buying in bulk like we used to. But you know what?  It's not the end of the world, seriously.

Growing up in Germany we never had a big fridge, like the typical ones here in the States. I remember my mom riding her bicycle (and later driving, after she got her driver's license around age 40) to the local market. It was about a 1 mile ride each way.  Grocery bags were stored in the attached bicycle basket or hung on the handle bar. And we lived comfortably.

So going back to the market often actually makes me reconnect with my childhood.

So yes, our grocery shopping habits have been adjusted and meal preparation as well. The counter space is VERY limited. Our oven and microwave also serve as storage areas when not in use, to maximize every inch to its fullest potential. Our pantry is now inside of our two steps leading to the upstairs. Each step lifts up and there's our non-perishable food.

What we no longer do, is prepare food together.  It's just too tight.  The upside is, that everything, and I mean EVERYTHING (!!) is within reach. Hardly any walking is involved when I cook. Compare that to the SUPERsized kitchen most people have these days.

So here I am with my finished cookies. One sheet in the oven at a time. See here's what you have to realize:  Because when you RV full time you have more time to enjoy simple things such as baking, because you no longer rush home from work, clean the house for hours and then squeeze in additional time for things like baking cookies. I can say this because I used to be "that person".


  

None of my cooking or I should say "favorite meals" have been sacrificed due to this lifestyle of ours.

Joe still makes his pulled pork and then  portions several bags at that time for the freezer.  I still make my German pork roast with gravy and dumplings and red cabbage.  Sometimes I  make pea soup or potato soup. On cooler days I enjoy making a hardy 5 bean casserole in the slow cooker. A recipe my friend Robin gave me.





Because we are now living on a more limited income, we actually eat out less than we used to.

So, if you are playing around with the idea of tiny living, be assured that adjusting and changing habits is OKAY and you learn new ways of thinking,  in the kitchen and everywhere else.


Tiny living leaves a lot of room for growing:


OUR MIND IS A POWERFUL THING.


Challenge yours.


You'll be surprised.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peru 2024

Creating balance

Walk-in closet renovation