Elvis and Graceland



 Growing up in Germany 🇩🇪 I can't say I was an Elvis fan. 

But I am certain generations before me were! If you would have told me back then, that one day I would be walking 🚶‍♂️ on Elvis's property I would have called you delirious! Well on that beautiful day in October I did, accompanied by my wonderful husband.

What an honor to visit "HIM"!




From his humble beginnings in Tupelo, Mississippi, to his rock & roll megastardom   Elvis Presley lead a truly larger-than-life existence. When I think of Elvis I always think of the song "walking in Memphis ".





I wasn't sure what to expect.  For today's standards, Graceland is not as grand as I thought. Todays mansions have entrances made for a king with huge staircases; with kitchens the size of 10 kitchens put together, where I grew up. Not to forget the walk-in pantry, dual range and a fridge big enough to store food for an entire football team.

 His kitchen was dark, with carpeting. But for the era it must have been a chef's dream kitchen! 


Well back then, grand was big enough. The property is most certainly a reflection of his uniqueness. 


Upon entering you are equipped with a headset and tablet while John Stamos's voice is taking you back in time, room upon room, of the life of Elvis.




Although some may consider Graceland a tacky tourist trap. Whether you are a fan of Elvis or not, there are plenty of interesting and awesome things to see where Elvis spent the last 20 years of his life! 

Enter the "jungle room":
Green shag carpet on the floor as well as the ceiling. Handcarved wooden framed couches and table matching the exotic theme. An artificial plant back wall with a fountain that stopped running a long time ago.


Upon exiting this house with many rooms you will eventually come to the "meditation garden":

The Meditation Garden, just south of the swimming pool area, was constructed 1964-1965. It was built by Elvis as a place for contemplation. It includes a circular pool containing circular fountain jets, and a semi-circular pergola of Ionic columns on the south side of the pool with fountains. A stepped brick wall with four arched openings containing stained-glass panels curves to follow the pergola and encloses the Meditation Garden's south end. Presley planned this garden as a private retreat. 


To be honest, seeing his grave amongst his other family members made me very sad. 

It reminded me of Michael Jackson. 
 A similar life cut too short. 
A person like you and me will never understand the intensity of fame. The price these people have to pay. Eventually isolating themselves,  living in a bubble called "home 🏡 " because at some point they can no longer do things that you and I take for granted; 

Going to the movies, grabbing a bite to eat at the local diner down the street, stopping for an ice cream 🍨 !

I am leaving these grounds happy to have seen them and content with my

 VERY NORMAl LIFE.











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peru 2024

Creating balance

Walk-in closet renovation